Insightful Guide On The Latest WordPress Development Trends
- January 5, 2024
- 269 views
- 13 minutes
As the leading content management system (CMS) globally, WordPress is in an endless state of evolution, continuously adapting to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies.
In 2024, we can anticipate the emergence of several noteworthy trends in WordPress development that will influence and reshape the future of CMS.
Since its launch in 2003, WordPress has evolved significantly and now stands as the go-to platform for website and blog development. The widespread acclaim for WordPress can be attributed to its versatility, user-friendliness, and search engine optimization (SEO) capabilities.
Especially for those just starting with their website, WordPress (often abbreviated as WP) proves to be the perfect launchpad. Its uncomplicated dashboard simplifies the process of creating posts and pages, making it a cakewalk for beginners and less experienced developers to navigate without stumbling over technical complexities.
Are you gearing up to create your own website? In this piece, we’ll root around the top trends in WordPress and what are the latest developments to expect in the future.
So, let’s begin exploring the top WordPress trends you need to keep an eye on this year.
Table of Contents
1.1 Definition of WordPress Development
Originally developed as a blogging tool, WordPress has since become the foremost website builder, enjoying immense popularity and influence. The most intriguing aspect of WordPress is its flexibility and open-source nature which allows it to function as a decoupled system in contemporary scenarios.
Also, what sets WordPress apart is its remarkable adaptability, allowing users to build websites of any kind. By definition, WordPress development is the process of developing and maintaining WordPress-based websites.
From business websites to eCommerce and blogging, WordPress development is ideally the most versatile and convenient solution. It focuses predominantly on usability and flexibility and hence, is suitable for businesses of every scale and type.
1.2 Importance Of Staying Up-To-Date With WordPress Development Trends
You should keep a close watch on the latest WordPress development trends for myriad reasons. Without updates as per the latest trends, you cannot maintain a competitive edge and will lose out on major revenue streams. Your competitors will be doing it, and you will stay behind them.
New updates in technology integration, plugins, themes, and coding techniques are constantly emerging. In such a scenario, staying up-to-date ensures you are always at the forefront of WordPress development and ahead of the curve.
With technology advancing at an unprecedented pace, website owners and WordPress developers must stay informed about the current as well as upcoming trends that are going to reshape the future of web development.
2 Current Trends In WordPress Development
There is no iota of doubt that WordPress has been a path-breaker in the field of website development. By making the most of the popular trends, you can maximize the potential of web development and build a state-of-the-art website, exceeding your user expectations.
2.1 Rise of Headless WordPress
If you will see something called a hot trend in 2024, then it is headless WordPress development. Contrary to traditional website architecture which is not flexible, headless WP is a decoupled architecture that offers an omnichannel experience.
Headless WP is a highly flexible architecture that allows a developer to develop the front end independently without the back end. As a consequence, the front end can be tailored to different platforms, channels, and devices, providing a seamless experience across multiple touch points.
With the help of a professional WordPress development company, you can build a robust and dynamic website or web application with headless WordPress and target every type of user you want. The decoupled architecture ensures your users have a consistent and integrated experience while navigating your website.
The front-end and back-end of the website are connected via APIs to facilitate the exchange of data between the two ends. Since most stacks are based on HTTP protocol, API designing is also very easy for a developer using which content can be sent to any desired stack such as React, Flutter, Vue, and more.
Furthermore, third-party API integration is also seamless which makes it possible to implement more exciting features and functionalities without requiring developers to understand back-end stacks and programming languages like PHP.
With the rising popularity of Headless CMS, it is anticipated that the gap between developers and marketers will be bridged.
The primary advantages that you can enjoy with headless WordPress are –
- Fast website performance – This decoupled version of WP detaches the front-end aspect from the backend or management part, therefore reducing the server load and improving performance.
- Increased security – In Headless CMS, direct access to the backend is restricted which enhances the website security and minimizes the risk of hacking and malware attacks.
- Better user experience – The front-end is optimized for better usability and speed which enhances the user journey throughout the website.
- Easy integration with other technologies – Headless WP makes it possible to be integrated with cutting-edge technologies like AR/VR, IoT devices, and voice assistants.
- Better scalability – With the increase in user load, a headless WordPress website can be scaled to meet the growing needs without impacting speed and performance.
2.2 Increasing Use Of Page Builders
Another popular trend that has created a lot of hype in the landscape of website development is Page builders. Page builders are used by WordPress developers to customize website pages with a virtual interface as per your business requirements.
The most astounding reason for the rising use of Page builders is that you don’t need technical knowledge or coding skills to build customized web pages. With a simple drag-and-drop functionality, any user can add, remove, and arrange elements like images, text, and buttons.
In fact, it would be no wrong to say that today’s world is experiencing an emergence of the “no-code” movement in the realm of web development with this cutting-edge tool.
The user-friendly nature of Drag-and-drop page builders appeals to busy business owners because they can now easily customize web pages without any coding knowledge.
Here are some of the noteworthy benefits that Page Builders offers to its users.
- Ease of use – With a simple and user-friendly drag-and-drop interface, it has become possible for non-technical users or inexperienced developers with minimum knowledge to build and customize pages of a website.
- Customizable templates – It provides you with pre-built templates that can be customized to cater to a specific layout based on your business requirements without requiring a developer’s assistance.
- Responsive layout – The customizable templates have responsive features that allow the users to create optimized web pages that deliver a uniform experience across various devices and screen sizes.
- Widgets and Modules – Page builders come with a large variety of modules and widgets such as sliders, galleries, and forms, which you can add to a web page to improve its functionality.
- Saves time – The simple drag-and-drop functionality of the Page builders saves a lot of time for the developers.
Overall, using Page Builders expedites the website development process because customized web pages can be created using a visual interface and developers do not need to code from scratch.
2.3 Adoption of Progressive Web Apps (PWA)
Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) are not something new in the web development scene. However, it has recently surfaced as one of the most popular trends due to the increased need for lightweight and fast application development.
PWA is a website that provides an app-like user interface and can be installed on mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. PWA acts like a native mobile app but with extended benefits. Businesses are more and more embracing progressive web apps for greater engagement on their websites because PWAs require little space and so, user adoption is high.
The primary benefits that Progressive Web Apps offer are –
- Offline Mode – The greatest advantage of PWA is that it can be used even when offline. Once you run a PWA on a device or web browser for the first time, it caches data and so when any user opens the app the next time, the cached data becomes instantly available to the users even without any internet connection. For businesses, it is a major plus point because it increases the rate of user engagement and leads to higher revenue generation.
- No installation required – To use any PWA, you don’t need to install the app from Google Play or Apple Store, unlike mobile apps. You can simply visit the website and enjoy a mobile app-like user experience. Moreover, you don’t need to install any updates manually, as all updates and new features are integrated seamlessly.
- Low on data – The size of PWAs is much smaller than usual mobile apps and hence, they require much less bandwidth. This makes PWA a preferred choice for someone who has limited mobile data and doesn’t have instant access to a Wi-fi network.
2.4 Parallax Scrolling Effects
In WordPress web development, Parallax scrolling is an innovative technique where the background and foreground of a website page move parallelly at different speeds as the user scrolls down the page further.
Parallax scrolling has gained momentum in recent years because it provides users with a more engaging and visually appealing experience. It has become popular among website owners for the following reasons.
- Impactful Visuals – Parallax scrolling leaves an indelible impression on the user’s mind by capturing their attention with an immersive background against a creative foreground of a web page.
- Better user engagement – This scrolling technique is a very effective way to keep your audience engaged and keep them on a site for a longer time.
- Responsiveness – Responsive web design with parallax scrolling gives users a consistent user experience across all devices. The parallax scrolling effects get adjusted automatically along with the screen size.
This interesting WordPress development technique has been around for a while and when integrated into an existing site, it can enhance user interaction with the website and elevate the user experience.
2.5 Dark Mode UI is the New Normal
Dark mode user interface is becoming more and more popular these days. In fact, an overwhelming majority of users ranging from 91% to 95% prefer dark mode over light themes. So, a dark-themed approach to WordPress development aligns with the preferences of the maximum users.
The growing trend of dark mode UI implies that a dark background with light text on a website is preferred more by the audience and there are many reasons for their inclination towards dark mode.
Companies are utilizing WordPress plugins to seamlessly transform into a dark-theme version.
- Easy on the eyes – The Dark Mode UI improves visibility and at the same time, reduces strain on the eyes of the viewers. It makes the content easy to read and consume.
- Energy efficient – Dark mode reduces energy consumption because it requires less power to display dark backgrounds compared to light backgrounds.
- Accessibility – Dark mode makes it easier for users with visual impairments to access the website without any discomfort.
- Easy to transform – Anyone can convert the website theme into a dark-theme version with the help of WordPress plugins.
3 Future Trends in WordPress Development
Entering 2024, WordPress adoption is expected to surge by 15% which is much higher than the previous years. This surge signifies that WordPress is the frontrunner in the website world, creating an influential impact on businesses and website developers on a global scale.
Undoubtedly, WordPress is solidifying its position as a key player in the ever-evolving landscape of web development. This segment highlights the rising trends that have massive potential to rule in the upcoming years; hence, you cannot afford to miss them!
Let’s have a rundown of the trends one by one.
3.1 Advancements in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML)
The two most talked about topics in the tech industry at present are Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. These two new-age and rapidly evolving technologies are set to play a big part in the WordPress development process in the near future.
Artificial Intelligence has transformed diverse sectors and web development is no exception. It is transforming the process of building WordPress websites with efficient and faster development workflows and optimized user experiences.
Here are some of the remarkable ways AI is impacting WordPress development.
- Personalized user experience – AI algorithms are utilized to analyze and predict user behavior and preferences. It also recommends personalized user interfaces that improve user engagement and interaction on the website by delivering targeted content, products, or services.
- Automated content generation – With the help of AI-powered tools, it has become easy to generate and optimize content as per the latest SEO practices. This helps website owners streamline the process of content creation, saving time for both content creators and developers.
- Smart chatbot integration – Integration of AI-driven chatbots offers instant and helpful responses to millions of user queries and lowers a company’s cost by eliminating the need to hire and set up an entire chat support team. AI chatbot development and integration enhances customer service with quick and personalized responses.
- Predictive analysis for website speed and performance – The power of AI is vast. It can predict the traffic patterns on a site and help web developers proactively optimize websites based on the predictions to ensure optimal performance.
- Adjustments in dynamic web design – Now making adjustments to website layouts is like a breeze as AI allows real-time modifications in a website based on user interactions. You can make the most of adaptive design elements for a smooth browsing experience.
- AI plugins – Now WordPress also provides AI plugins that aid in managing websites and improving content effortlessly.
3.2 Integration With Voice Assistants And Internet Of Things (IoT) Devices
Connecting WordPress with IoT and Voice assistants makes absolute sense in times when its global market share among other CMS is 64.2%. On average, there are 810 million websites currently built in WordPress. Hence, integrating them with leading-edge technologies has become important more than ever.
IoT devices and voice assistants add value to your business website by collecting real-time data and utilizing it instantaneously to improve customer experience. IoT development and WP operate within a sensor-to-machine network or relationship.
This is perhaps the coolest functionality of WordPress which makes your website IoT-ready. The full-fledged WP REST API globally connects the world (using external devices) by establishing a standard range of endpoints and creating an efficient communication channel. With an uncomplicated data-in and data-out pathway, it is possible for users to directly connect with WordPress via IoT devices. The benefits that users can enjoy are –
- Set up alarm notifications whenever any visitors raise queries or leave a comment on the website or an article.
- Easily manage and monitor customer support tickets and resolve queries faster.
- Keep track of the downtime and receive instant mobile notifications if there is any issue.
- Data collection, aggregation, and display.
- Get a summarized display of website traffic and other analytics and stats.
Voice Assistants and Voice Search Integration
Voice assistants and voice search are great ways to improve the user journey and experience on your website. Voice search integration transforms the behavior of online search in users and offers them a hands-free experience to enter a query and get desired results.
As website visitors are turning to voice assistants to enjoy a smooth browsing experience, it has become imperative for businesses to optimize their web interfaces and content to cater to this newly evolved trend.
Voice-based assistant on the website has the following upsides.
- Enhances user experience – Websites that integrate voice search features and are equipped with voice assistants provide a way better user experience than sites not utilizing this popular trend.
- Addresses user behavior better – This technology acknowledges the changes in the user search behavior and adapts to the increasing needs of users who are dependent on voice-activated devices for online browsing.
- Increases accessibility – Voice assistants and voice search functionality make it possible for users with physical disabilities to seamlessly navigate and interact with a website.
3.3 Prioritizing Mobile-First Design
Adopting a mobile-first design approach is the need of the hour because approximately 7.2 billion people in the world access the internet using mobile devices.
In this design approach, the web designers emphasize more on the usability and user experience on mobile devices rather than desktops and laptops. Nowadays, almost every web development company keeps in mind to optimize the website for every screen size while designing and building a website.
Optimizing a website for mobile users has the following advantages –
- It provides the users with an enhanced user experience. Mobile-first website ensures a uniform viewing and scrolling experience across various devices.
- It improves the website’s visibility in the search engine results pages (SERPs) because leading search engines like Google prefer mobile-first websites.
- It increases accessibility and drives more traffic to your website. Anyone from anywhere with a mobile device and a steady internet connection can access your website.
Thus, the significance of a mobile-first design website cannot be overstated and businesses need to implement this approach to establish a great online presence and stay ahead of the competition.
4 Implications Of WordPress Development Trends
The evolving trends in WordPress development that we just discussed in this article hold notable implications for website owners and WordPress developers. Besides enabling users to create and launch a website with minimal coding, it also significantly reduces the cost of website development.
For developers, these latest trends underscore the importance of learning new tools and nurturing their skills to adapt to these methodologies. Let us take a look at the ways these trends are reshaping the future of website development.
- Impacts on website design and development – Drag-and-drop builders, pre-built templates, visual editing interfaces, plugin ecosystem, – all these empower a web developer to streamline the development process and focus more on the intricate aspects of a website such as functionality and optimization.
- Implications for User Experience (UX) – With enhanced user-friendly interfaces, mobile-first design, and advanced chatbot and voice search integration, users can expect flawless navigation, increased accessibility, and better overall usability.
- Opportunities for businesses and entrepreneurs – These trends open up new paths for businesses and budding entrepreneurs to build a visually appealing website and establish a robust online presence without hefty investments.
- Importance of staying ahead of the curve – By constantly adapting to the latest industry trends, leveraging state-of-the-art tools and technologies, and boosting digital marketing efforts, you can achieve sustained growth and innovation, remain relevant, and surpass your competitors.
In the global CMS arena, WordPress is currently the biggest master. Its dominant position in the web development market is due to its constant focus on innovation.
With new trends emerging now and then, the future of WordPress web development looks bright and revolutionary. With limitless opportunities for innovation, WordPress websites cater to the needs of both large-scale businesses and individuals.
Want A WordPress Developer To Implement These New Trends?
Whether you want to include these modern-day contemporary concepts into your existing website or build a new dynamic website with these trends, you can hire our WordPress experts and get the best-fit solution.
Webgen Technologies USA offers custom WordPress development services that will help your business keep up with the emerging trends and provide the best-ever user experience to your site visitors.